Troubleshoot Screen Sharing Issues
- Are you using a mac? Check that OS-level permissions are set correctly.
- Open up System Preferences.
- Click on Security and Privacy.
- Scroll down to the Screen Recording section, and ensure that your browser is ticked. You may need to unlock your settings first in the bottom left.
- Accidentally block sharing permissions in Firefox?
- Click on the "Site information" area, just to the left of the website address.
- Click the "X" next to Share the Screen, to toggle from "Blocked" to "Allowed."
- Refresh the page and try to share again.
Browser Screen Sharing Permissions
At the moment Chrome doesn't have any specific settings related to screen access, so if you're running into problems or getting an error go to the Operating System Permissions area for further troubleshooting.
When you first use screen sharing in Firefox, you'll see a pop up that asks if you'd like to allow Whereby to access your screen
If you initially clicked Don't Allow, Firefox won't show this prompt again when you try to share your screen and won't show any sharing options. In this case, you'll need to manually reset the permissions for screen access by doing the following:
- Click on the "Site information" area, just to the left of the website address
- Locate the "Share the Screen" item in the list, and click the "X" next to it
- Refresh the page, and click on the Share button in the bottom toolbar to re-prompt the screen sharing notification
Operating System Permissions
For devices using MacOS Catalina or newer, Apple has introduced system-level permissions for accessing screen sharing. If you've recently updated or upgraded your device and can't screen share anymore, you'll need to update the preferences by doing the following:
- Open up System Preferences on your Mac
- Click on the Security and Privacy section
- Scroll down to the Screen Recording section, and ensure that your browser is check. You may need to unlock your settings first in the bottom left.
- After doing this, fully Quit your browser and re-open it so the new permissions are applied
At the moment Windows doesn't have any system-level permissions for screen access, so if you're running into problems or getting an error, double-check your browser settings.