Use of Whereby in Education or with children under 16 years
We are a general video communication service and not adapted specifically for use in education, which requires some precautions to be made when using it with minors.
1) We recommend using a Business account, which gives you a dedicated subdomain to create rooms under. This prevents random users of the normal whereby.com domain (which has millions of users worldwide) to drop in the room by accident.
2) Students or minors under 16 years should never register an account in Whereby. They should only be guests in rooms owned by teachers.
3) Rooms used with students should be kept locked at all times. Students will then have to knock and you as a teacher will have to let them in. Tell the students to show their face when knocking on the room, and enter a name.
4) Make sure all the students leave the room, before the teacher leaves. By holding your mouse over the "Leave" button, you should use the "End meeting for all" option to remove everyone from the room. Students should never be allowed to use the room without the teacher present.
5) We recommend meeting students in smaller groups of 4-6, which is easier to manage and might give better call quality now that many people are working from home.
6) Inform parents in advance of starting to use it, with some basic information of how it will work. Also ask them to make sure that their kids only use whereby in rooms created by you, or that the parents create rooms themselves if the kids want to use it outside school (parents should then supervise them when using it). Kids should never go into random rooms in the service.
7) Make sure students are running updated versions of Chrome.
8) For privacy concerns, we recommend never recording meetings with minors.
9) Make a list of some ground rules for behavior in online meetings, such as:
- Be nice and talk friendly to each other
- Always use your own name, don't make funny names Use your first name only.
- If possible, sit somewhere where you are not disturbed by others or that you do no disturb them. If you have headphones, use them.
- When you are not speaking, mute your microphone. You can push the space bar and hold it down to ask a question or talk.
- If you want to talk to the teacher alone, send a message and ask the teacher to contact you.